We can't do it without your help.
In order to provide the highest quality of care and help animals in need in our community, we rely on donations and fees for service (adoptions) for 92% of our budget. We aren't a government agency and we don't receive general operating support from national animal organizations. We are YOUR humane society, a private 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization. Your contributions support animals right here in Central Ohio.
Regarding the current dog fighting investigation:
As a joint effort between multiple agencies including the Columbus Division of Police and the ASPCA, each agency is contributing financially to ensure a successful investigation. The care of dogs housed as evidence during and after this investigation is provided by the Capital Area Humane Society and the ASPCA. Each organization accepts donations which may be tax deductible. To learn more about how you can support this or other investigations, visit cahs-pets.org or ASPCA.org. Donations made to the Capital Area Humane Society specifically designated for this operation will be used to provide care, staffing and supplies for the dogs seized in the investigation. Use any of the donation buttons on our website -- you will have the chance to say if you would like your donation used towards this case.
In the unlikely event that we receive gifts surpassing our expenses for this case (which are currently estimated at nearly $100,000), donations will be restricted for use in future cruelty investigations and to care for animal victims of abuse.
Below are just some of the many ways a gift can make an impact on animals in need:
Any size gift means everything to our animals in need.
A Gift of $250 will accomplish any one of the following:
- staffs a week of mobile adoptions with MARV
- provides the initial medical evaluation for one animal victim of abuse or neglect
- provides a month of food and boarding for 5 cats
- allows 7 volunteers to attend STEPS on scholarship
- neuters 15 male cats
A gift of $500 will accomplish any one of the following:
- stocks a new foster home with all of the supplies to care for cats and kittens
- staffs the cruelty investigations department for one day
- spays 8 female dogs
- buys a month worth of disposable litter boxes for cats
- provides boarding for one animal in the Safe Haven program (based on average stay)
A gift of $1,000 will accomplish any one of the following:
- vaccinates all dogs in EmBARK partner shelters for one month
- provides for the veterinary services, housing and care of one abandoned dog
- provides toys and enrichment items to all of our dogs for 2 months
- furnishes one day of Feral Fix (spay/neuter and rabies vaccination for 20-25 feral cats)
- provides two nights of emergency hospitalization for one animal victim of cruelty
(614) 777-7387 ext 221
Capital Area Humane Society
3015 Scioto-Darby Executive Court
Hilliard, Ohio 43026
You may also choose to make your gift "recurring" and choose a monthly, quarterly or other option.
Make a donation in honor or memory of a person or pet
- We will notify the family if you provide a name and address
- Include a note including who the gift is in honor/memory of as well as the name/address of the person you’d like us to notify
- A card will be sent to the person of your choice that a gift was made as their tribute
- Simply select the Honor/Memorial option during checkout process
Membership - see below
Check if your employer offers donating via automatic payroll deduction. It’s an easy, consistent and thoughtful—and thought-free—way to help. We’re a member of Community Shares of Mid Ohio and may be an eligible write-in choice for other campaigns. Skip a latte and save a life. Spread the word.
See For Yourself
Want to see what makes this place so special and deserving of your donation? Ask for a personal tour of our shelter here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our members are donors who stand with us in our mission. We invite you to join us! Memberships are renewed each January for the current calendar year.
- Senior (60 yrs +)/Student $30
- Individual $45
- Family $75
- Patron $150
- Sustainer $250
- Benefactor $350
- Sponsor $500
Your annual tax-deductible donation includes:
- Subscription to our printed newsletter.
- Subscription to Humane Society e-newsletter.
- Special pricing for tickets to Humane Society events.
- Discount on Humane Society merchandise at our Bells & Whiskers retail store.
- Most importantly, the wonderful feeling of knowing you make a difference in the lives of so many animals, every single year.
We are happy to accept wish list items here at the shelter during open hours. You may also order items via Smile.Amazon.com (direct link: http://amzn.com/w/HRV5Z237VF4X) and have them shipped directly to us.
Capital Area Humane Society
3015 Scioto-Darby Executive Court
Hilliard, OH 43026
What we could always use:
*indicates a critical need
- Canned cat and dog and kitten and puppy food *
- Dry dog and cat food for our food bank *
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Busy Bone chew treats for small/medium dogs (Purina)
- Jumbones (Pedigree)
- Cheweez Rolls Dog Treats (Purina)
- Creamy-style peanut butter. Never goes out of style.
- Rawhide chews (for use in behavior testing)
- Kong® dog toys—size LARGE and up *
- Bunny toys from www.busybunny.com
- Bopperoo Jack
- Busy Buddy Kibble Nibble
- Hol-ee Mol-ee
- "Yesterday's News" cat litter for post operative kitties
- Used fleece blankets or throws—no fringe or quilting
- Dust baths for pocket pets
- Heavy-duty nylon leashes and buckle-style collars
- No slip collars
- Martingale collars
- EZ Walk Harnesses
- Kuranda dog beds (order at a discounted price to have shipped directly to the Capital Area Humane Society!)
- Small flat "sheepskin" polyester cat beds with nylon (not mesh) backing (prefer Companion Road-type)
- Weiss Walkie leashes (available for order through our adoption office)
- Cat litter—non-clumping, clay, unscented
- Extra large airline animal crates (Varikennels)
- Collapsible dog crates
Cruelty Investigations Supplies
- Igloo-type dog houses, size large or extra large*
- Bales of straw (with no mold) *
- Bolt cutters—long handled, removable blade
- Tomahawk live traps (order cat/rabbit live trap #106 through www.livetrap.com )
- 5-gallon plastic buckets
- SWAT fly ointment
- KMR by Pet Ag
- Hand sanitizer wipes
- Plastic Watering cans
- Fence panels for outside dog runs
- Green back sponges (Scotch Brite)
- 1-quart spray bottles
- Paper towels
- Wooden picnic table
- Large generator
- Headlamps (hat-mounted camping lights)
- NEW ballpoint pens
- Anything your office uses, we could use. Thanks!
- $25 gift cards for Employee Recognition Program
As our needs and technology is constantly evolving, please email email@example.com if you have a specific item you would like to donate prior to bringing it to the shelter.
Homemade toys and treats:
We are unable to accept homemade toys and treats other than those created in programs here at the shelter.
Unless specifically requested, we are not in need of newspaper.
Hearts for Paws
Hearts for Paws
Host a “Hearts for Paws” campaign at your business. Engage your employees while having a little fun giving back to the community. It’s easy! Ask your customers to support the Capital Area Humane Society by making a small gift. In return, they receive a heart to print their name or pet’s name to show their support for the animals. “Hearts for Paws” campaigns also work well in schools. For more information, please contact Emilie Zion, Development Manager, at (614) 777-7387 ext. 242 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions - Donations
Are you part of The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) or any other national group?
No. We are a local 501(c)3 non-profit organization serving the Central Ohio community and we don’t receive general operating support from HSUS or any other national organizations. Which is why you are so important.
Do my taxes pay for your services?
We are not a government agency but our Cruelty Investigations Program does apply for and receive grants from the Franklin County Commissioners Community Partners Program and the City of Columbus.
When I make a donation, where does my money go?
Your money stays right here in Central Ohio supporting our animals and our mission.
Do you sell or trade my personal information?
Absolutely not. We maintain standard physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that protect the confidentiality and security of non-public personal information.
How will I know you have received my donation?
We will provide you with a written receipt for tax purposes.
How can I make my donation go farther?
One way to stretch your support is through matching gifts from your employer. With every donation you make, you should check with your employer to see if your company can match your gift. Some companies will match you dollar for dollar and others even provide a 2:1 match!
Can I make a donation using a credit card?
Absolutely. We currently accept MasterCard, Visa, Discover or American Express by phone or mail and Master Card, Visa or Discover via our website.
In this section
|Monday - Friday||2pm - 7pm|
|Saturday - Sunday||12pm - 5pm|
Animal Support Center
Admission services by appointment only
Same-day appointments may be available
(614) 777-7387 ext. 208
Contact UsPhone (614) 777-7387 Fax (614) 777-8449
Hilliard OH, 43026